Wednesday, October 12, 2011

I hate computers!

I cannot stand computers, and all the bullshit associated with said computers. We had a Trojan, on our laptop. OK, whatever. I got it booted up and copied all 40 gigs worth of pictures, videos, and docs. I copied all that to an external hard drive, 2 hours later! I wipe the laptop, and reinstall through the recovery sub system. I hate recovery sub systems. I like to clean install, it saves time and problems later. I love how computer manufacturers, don't include re installation DVDs. We paid for this fucking expensive ass laptop, and you wanting to save a couple bucks, can't include a re installation DVD!? Really!? So when I first booted this new laptop it says to make a "recovery"  DVD. So 2 DVDs later, I figure I'm good. Cut to Sunday fucking night, when all this Trojan this, virus that started. I start the "recovery" method and it formats, and re installs the OS. I boot up and of course it's all different. It's not the new shiny different, it's the "you just fucked this up, and now you have to make it pretty again, different" so it installed all the factory bloat ware, that I forgot was on there in the first place. I start uninstalling all this shit. Then you have to remember, not only do you have to uninstall, you have to delete the file folders too. Then on top of all that it's a 64 bit environment, so that means that there is two different file systems, x86, and x64. If you use 64 bit versions you know what I'm talking about. So I go into both 64 bit, and 32 bit, file systems and start deleting the programs folders. then I start installing like the important stuff. This over a four day period mind you, and I'm still not done. I removed the crap ass Office 2010 trial shit, and I install my Office CD and guess what? The file associations don't fucking associate! You are a goddamn Word doc, why will you not associate? So I have Word docs that don't know what they are! (Don't even get me started on the move from .doc to .docx Really!?) Anyways I have to delete the file folder in the systems properties of the different X crap, uninstall my Office, and reinstall, finally it works. The Word files are finally associated. I downloaded Picasa, and I still had my external drive hooked up, so it decided hey I'm gonna grab these pics too, k. So now I have to uninstall, and delete the file folder in the X environments. Re download Picasa and have it find just what I want it to. Then I load Picasa, and it fucks up all the file folder dates! Really!? I do not have folders from 2006 on my laptop Picasa! Stop saying I do!  So I move on, whatever with 2006 and Picasa. I download iTunes, and it downloads great, but I see that it's 10.5, not 10.4.3 or whatever the fuck it was. So I download the update on my desktop, I figure might as fucking well, while I'm here. It downloads, I copy over my movies, and TV shows from the laptops backup, to the iTunes folder. Guess what? It doesn't recognize the new shit I put in there. So I drag and drop them into iTunes,(can I just say that when you're pissed off typing, and have to put a lower case"i"in front of an upper case "T" it pisses me off even more!) it finally recognizes the shit, but now it's like I can't even click movies, or TV shows. What the fuck! I'm running out of time, I'm doing this in the morning before I have to go to work. So basically I have no clue what the fuck is going on with two computers. I still have more fucking shit to put on the laptop, and now figure out what's going on with the desktop. At least I got the printer shared. Victory is mine!

I still have no clue what this Trojan, and Virus was? It killed the Windows fire wall completely, and left it open. It would replicate itself even after multiple virus scans, and three different removal programs. I just have no fucking clue!

What I do know, is I need a NAS (Network Attached Storage) device. And I need to backup my shit to multiple locations. And I need some RAID-1 love too. So if one fails, I have a redundant back up for the backup, for the original backup. I wish I had an Amazon, or Google, server farm at my disposal.

Till next time, make a backup, of your backup, to save time when you need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment