In the morning I decided to do some research on repair manuals or parts. Pssh, that's not any kind of happening. I found a post on Instructables.com about a repair someone did. They tried spraying the white wheel (Which it turns out is actually a motor.) with WD40. They said that did not work for them and they had to take the motor housing apart and buy a new gear. I did not think the process of dis assembly was bad at all. I said I am going to try this myself. I told Melissa I was going to work on the radio but there was no guarantee I can or will be able to fix it. Below is a pretty good step by step of what I did.
|The culprit. The white and red striped wheel of destruction.|
|I hate rolling screws, so I put duct tape down.|
|Got it open.|
|The motor. My target to fix.|
|Still not spinning.|
|What I didn't show, was the 4 bolts holding this assembly together.|
|I didn't want to wreck the motor assembly. So I tried the WD 40.|
|Trying to see if the WD 40 worked. I was trying to count the teeth moving on the motor.|
|I thought the motor was seized.|
|Ha ha, that's right. You're working now.|
As you can see the WD 40 worked. I normally don't like using WD 40 for stuff like this. It dries out quick and you wind up using more later. I need to try and find some other lubricating oil. I'm think worst case, if this stops working again, I can try a different type of oil for it. So we waited a few days without having it plugged in. When we plugged in, it started spinning and clicking right away. All it needed was a good dousing of oil. Hopefully this helped you a little bit, if not, sorry. Now I want to find another flip clock and fix it. Also, this shows you the craftsmanship of these old products. 40 years and it still works! Till next time.