Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Midweek update.

 So I don't even know where to begin. I told you last time about using the cc closed captions in Handbrake for some of my files and it worked great, until I tried a couple different files and the subtitles didn't work. So I don't even know what's going on. I guess I will just keep using the English vob sub and if that doesn't work, I will re rip the file using the cc closed captions. I hate more than anything redoing work because something didn't work correctly. I have also ran into some weird subtitle problems, the subtitles will work, but they are blurry and stretched across the whole screen. I don't know how to fix it. I tried on file three different times and the same thing happens. When I watch movies or videos on my tablet I want subtitles. It helps in case the audio isn't loud enough or whatever. The subtitles work on the computer and on the tablet they are stretched out. You will say, "Ben, try a different media player." I will say, "I have tried three different media players on different machines and it is a mixed bag of results." I use VLC on all of my computers. I use two different types of VLC app on my tablet and the same file will have the same subtitle issues on both VLC apps. And the stock video app can't display subtitles anyways.

 So I am at a loss. I will keep trying different things to make it work. Speaking of VLC, why is it that the new actual VLC release plays the movies and makes them look like carp? Then the unofficial app plays the movies and videos fine? I don't get it. I just want to make sure I can enjoy my media on all my devices with all options available, including subtitles. I got given another GameCube and I don't really know what I'm going to do with it yet. I was thinking about having it bee an external hard drive, but I don't know what i would do with it. I want it as a nas, but I would have to buy a nas enclosure and strip it to to put it in the GameCube. I will just think on it for awhile and go from there.

 So I haven't touched the throw away computer in awhile. I just need some time and a night when it's not 90 degrees in the house. I have a lot of different OS's I want to try and I can't wait to work on it. In other news, Raspberry Pi got an upgrade, it's called Raspberry Pi model B+.

 As you can see from the pictures, it has 4 usb ports now, a micro sd card reader, more gpio pins, better power management and a new audio plug. This makes me really excited, I cant wait to build this model into my GameCube. My original idea was to use a couple of powered usb hubs for what I wanted to hook up to it. Now, I wouldn't have to. I still will probably end up doing it though. I like the idea of having two ports for the keyboard, mouse, 1 for Bluetooth and have an open port for a controller for emulators. My goal is to buy the old b version for the PidOne (The Ps1) and the b+ for the GameCube. The Ps1, will be the media streaming device and the GameCube will be the all in one emulator station with all the roms and emulators I can stuff in it.

 Video games
I haven't played any games since last time I wrote about it. As I wrote about on the weekend review, I was looking for some old video games and I didn't find any. For my GameCube, I have the Game Boy Player for it, so I wanted to find some Game Boy or Game Boy Advance games for it. I'm still gonna keep my eyes out, but I want deals on this stuff. I don;t want to spend an arm and a leg for something that will more than likely be just a collectors item without a lot of use.

 Cool pictures



 I love architecture. And this is amazing how old this is and it's still standing. Well that's all I got for this update. Till next time.

 Update
So last night I braved the heat of the night and decided to put OpenELEC on the throw away computer. It worked. It worked flawlessly. I transferred a couple movies over the network and not from any programs. I logged into the computer from my other computer and dropped some files on the hard drive and played them back. 

 I hooked the throw away computer up to my tv and it worked. When I was hooking the computer up I noticed there was a toslink or optical out. I hooked it up to my surround sound and after some configurations it worked. My file I tried was playing on my tv and my surround sound. That is a success. I am extatic, now the last thing I want to try is setting it up as web file server so I can log in from the internet and watch a movie or video if I want. I also ran into another movie that I used the cc closed captions in Handbrake and it didn't show up on xbmc. I'm still confused by that, but the computer working how I wanted it to over shadows that. I will make an updated post if I get anymore work done. Till next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment