Wednesday, September 2, 2020

The First Day Trip I Took On My Own.


 This is a crazy story. I was desperate to get out of the apartment. It was driving me insane. Just sitting there watching movies and playing video games only goes so far. I remembered I went to Camano Park quite a few years ago and I was like I can find that no problem. How wrong I was. Haha. I grabbed some stuff and headed out the door. I had my gps. What could go wrong? Well I started driving towards this mystical place I had a small recollection about. I stopped at Chik-fil-a for a lunch to pack for the park. I got to Camano Island everything seemed to be okay. I followed the gps and it took me to a place that I had never seen before. Haha. I’m like okay maybe it was the road I passed before this one. I turned around and headed back to the other road. 

I turned and followed it to the end. Nope, this was not it either. I broke down. I literally started bawling driving away from this place. I was lost, I had no clue where I was, and the gps didn’t have enough signal. Shit. I literally yelled out for someone to give me a sign. Something, I needed something. I got a text less than a minute later and it was my girlfriend at the time, now my ex. Well I got a sign, and I found the main road and I went home. Sulked as I ate my Chik-fil-a for dinner. 

What happened? Why didn’t this work? Why me, right. So I opened Google maps and I started looking around Camano Island looking for this beach I kind of remembered. I found it!! Yes! Okay cool! So all week while I was stuck at work, I was plotting out my course, triple checking directions, and figuring out what I wanted for the picnic while I was there. I decided on getting Port of Subs since I hadn’t had it in a long time. Side note, I always plan on a budget for these day trips. So I fill up the tank with gas, but I won’t use a full tank. So technically that’s half price. So I try to stay around $50 or $60 bucks for the trip. That’s gas, breakfast, lunch, or dinner. 

So I make my way down the freeway and I start seeing the familiar roads I was driving the weekend before. I got to the same road as last time. So the crazy part? I just had to make a left turn to get down to the beach. I felt so dumb! Haha. Well I made it to the beach. You have to pay for parking or have a good to go pass. It just so happened that I had exact change in my wallet for the parking. I gathered up my backpack and started trekking the beach. 

Familiar things and places were filling my brain. I took tons of photos. It was a lot of fun until you look to your side and no one is there with you. No one is seeing what you’re seeing. You can’t share in the “how cool is that!” With anyone. Yeah it sucks as much as you think it does. I didn’t let it ruin my day though. I was figuring that it was time for lunch. I walked back to my car and grabbed out my lunch bag. The Port of Subs were calling my name. I found an empty picnic table and claimed it as mine. I felt the eyes of the people passing by as I was eating and reading my book. Man that is a feeling that takes a while to get used to. 

After lunch, I walked back to the car and put my lunch bag away. I decided to walk down the other side of the beach. I didn’t walk far, but it was still amazing. I decided to call it a trip and leave. As I was driving out, I saw this lone bench on the side of the road and I decided to stop and check it out. I took my book and I read a bit. Overlooking the beach with the sounds of the crashing waves was incredible. I’m glad I stopped and enjoyed it a little longer. 

It was time to head home. I accomplished a goal I set for myself. I did it by myself. No one helped me. It was all me. This journey jumpstarted my outings and I haven’t looked ask since. Every trip gets better and I am more prepared. I know what to bring with me now. I’m not going to lie and say this is the best thing ever. For me, it’s really cool, but I still want someone there with me. Till next time. 



No comments:

Post a Comment