Monday, September 14, 2020

Weekend Review for 9/12-/13/20 Ice Caves and Kayak Point.



Saturday I met up with my friend Sara. We had been planning this day trip for almost a month. Just waiting for schedules to work out and all that. So we met at Don’s Restaurant in Marysville. She grabbed us a table and waited for me to show up. I got there and walked in and found her right away. We started bullshitting with each other. Breakfast was awesome like normal. We both finished up and it was time to head out for the ice caves. 

 It seemed like it took no time at all to get there. It’s weird to have someone travel with me now so talking and stuff was making time fly by. We got to the trail head and we got going. Stopping along the way to take pictures and still taking. I probably blabbed her ear off with all my stuff. Haha. I will see if she ever comes again. Haha. Anyways, we got to the bridge and it was indeed out so we took some pictures from it. It was still really smokey from all the wild fires. 

 We walked to the beginning of the bridge and found the trail to the waters edge. We found a place to change shoes cause we would soon be wading through the river to get to the other side. Almost faking numerous times, I made it, but I went back and helped Sara. I kept forgetting that I was with someone. I helped her across and we started changing shoes. Now what I didn’t know is we would have to walk across the little waterfall too! 

 Changing back into my now wet shoes and socks, we crossed the waterfall and shimmied up the broken bridge expansions. We found a bench and changed shoes again. Since the last time I was there, tons of trees had fallen on the trail and next to it. But the smoke made the scenery really cool to look at. We made it the opening of the trail before the caves themselves. Man! The cave looked amazing. 

We down to the opening and I began snapping pictures. I can’t express how cool it was. I was going to go in, but there was a couple people there and I didn’t want to catch shit from them for going in. I should have. Oh well. We looked around and saw some people up on this little ridge and we were like how did they get there? So we said well let’s find out. 

 I found a worn path and started climbing it. The people passed us and said you know you took the hard way right? We bother laughed and said yeah probably. And we kept going. On the other side of this ridge was another ice cave! It had collapsed, but it was awesome. I had no clue it was there. Taking more pictures and just enjoying the view, we decided it was time to get going. 

 We got back to the trail and made our way to the bench to change our shoes for the river. We made our way back to the car and it was time to head to Boulder Creek trail. We decided to drive the Mountain Loop Highway. I did not know it was mostly gravel! Making our way downtown... Haha. It was slow going and I think Roger got a couple bumps on him. 

 Finally making it to the trail head, again it was a gravel road with big potholes. Roger was not having fun. We got to the parking lot and it was time to get going. Since I had been there before, it was cool to see Sara’s reaction to the scenery. Then when we got to the waterfall, the hike was definitely worth it. 

 It was time to leave and we got back on the main road. We drove to a pizza place called Bite Of New York. It’s supposed to be New York styles pizza. It was pretty good. I drove Sara back to her vehicle and I was headed home. Sore and remembering the day, it really was a good day. 

 Sunday, I got up and started making my coffee. I got all ready to go and headed out to pick up my friend Nathan. We hit Don’s first for breakfast. We were bullshitting and eating. We got some coffee from a stand and headed towards Kayak Point. 

 It was basically empty because of the smoke so we only saw about like four people. We hit the beach and started walking. Stopping to take pictures and enjoying the scenery. We walked the whole length of it and stopped on the pier. Couldn’t see past the pier but it was still a lot of fun. 

 Leaving Kayak Point, we drove to Camano Island Park. We parked and it was time to hit a trail for a hike. We found a shorter one that was 1.6 miles. Stopping and taking more pictures it was so quiet and calm. Finishing the hike, we left and headed to Stanwood for Mammoth Burgers. 1/3 pound awesome cheeseburgers topped with aged white cheddar cheese. 

 After lunch it was time to head on home. It was time to do some adulting and do laundry and stuff. It was a really good weekend. I’m trying to get better at enjoying the moments. But it’s still hard. Sometimes I wonder why I’m doing this and why I am taking all these trips. I think I’ll figure it out sometime. Till next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment